Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Keep Calm and Find Your Creativity


   I have just been soaking up summer the last few weeks! It's been so incredible having my husband home for the last 10 days, and we have had non-stop family gatherings, lake trips and a few rainy days that were perfect for hosting housefuls of guests :) As wonderful, fun and relaxing as August has been, there hasn't been a whole lot of productivity! {I mean, honestly, who feels like being anywhere other then the lake when it's almost 90 degrees and humid?!}. However, I can't meet deadlines and keep orders shipping on time when we are living in the sunshine, and recently a friend and I were discussing the various ways we stay focused, committed and creative, even when we aren't always 'feeling it' :)

   Needing some inspiration to tackle that DIY project or rev up your handmade business this Summer? Here are some of my tips for staying on top of everything when it's hard to maintain any sort of schedule:

-"Early to bed, early to rise, makes man healthy, wealthy and wise". Yes, this is incredibly difficult! When Philip is home, we have no reason to go to bed before 1:00am and can sleep in as late as we need, it seems pointless to stay structured, but if I am going to have a productive day, whether sewing or performing other tasks, I need to get a solid night of sleep and start the day early!

-Organization: I cannot express how important this one is for me! Not everyone thrives on or needs organization to express creativity, but I do! This does seem odd, since anytime I am working, I destroy any semblance of organization :) However, I find the days I am the most productive sewing, I have the house tidy and generally organized, some easy to grab meals in the fridge and can begin my day without any distracting messes.  

-Comfort: I perform my best when I have a comfortable, practical, and lets be honest, somewhat cute outfit on, my hair done and not just raked back into a messy knot {or worse, not combed since the previous day! Yikes! You know you work from home when...} and I also love starting the day with coffee or tea, and a one of my favorite playlists! 

-Inspiration: Surround yourself with what inspires you! Does an early morning walk, breathing in the fresh air and taking in your surroundings help you kick start your day? Perhaps an inspiration board helps you visualize your goals? Maybe you are like me and need a to do list with an action plan! I also know networking with likeminded individuals who inspire and challenge you can be a huge asset! I am still working on this one as I tend to shy away from big groups and 'putting it out there', but I am starting to meet some amazing handmade artists and find I feel so motivated and excited to tackle new challenges after meeting up with them.

-Just Do It: Nike might say it best :) Sometimes I can think, think and THINK about all I have to do, plan, make lists and what it always comes down to is just doing it! Sometimes, life doesn't cooperate, the house isn't organized, I don't feel rested and put together, but I still have to make stuff happen! Sometimes I just have to force myself to sit down and get to work, and before I know it, I'm on a roll! 

-Know when to quit: Ah! No one wants to use that word...quit. But I don't mean permanently :) One day I was busy working at the sewing machine and nothing {and I do mean nothing} seemed to be coming together! My husband walked in to find me yelling at my sewing project {please tell me I'm not the only one that does this?} and frustrated beyond measure! He kindly reminded me that what I was frustrated with probably wasn't really so difficult, but that I needed a break. I stopped what I was doing and tried not to think about it until the next day, and amazingly, a fresh new day brought a fresh new outlook on everything! It really does pay to take a break, so that we are refreshed and ready to take on the world! 
   So, whether you are growing a handmade business, or are looking to tackle some fun, Pinteresting projects this Summer, hopefully a few of these ideas will help you! I would LOVE to hear some of your ideas for finding inspiration and keeping the creative juices flowing! Leave comments below or on the Facebook page :) 

"Create what sets your heart on fire and it will illuminate your path"
   

No comments:

Post a Comment